America’s Navy is coming to Kenosha, one of 13 cities spanning six states to host a performance by the United States Navy Band during its 2022 tour — one of the signature outreach programs of the U.S. Navy.
The United States Navy Concert Band is scheduled to perform 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 26 at the Indian Trail High School Auditorium. All Navy Band performances are free and open to the public. However, please note that most do require tickets and advance preparation is often encouraged. For more information, click HERE.
“We are very excited to host the United States Navy Band on their national tour,” said Scott Plank, KUSD Coordinator of Fine Arts. “We hosted about six years ago and the band enjoyed their visit enough to recommend Kenosha once again. The D.C. armed forces bands are among the top performing ensembles in the world so this is a really great opportunity to come and see this amazing group in person.”
The U.S. Navy Concert Band is the premier wind ensemble of the U.S. Navy. As the original ensemble of the Navy Band, the Concert Band has been performing public concerts and participating in high-profile events for more than 95 years. The band performs a wide array of marches, patriotic selections, orchestral transcriptions and modern wind ensemble repertoire.
One of the U.S. Navy Band’s primary responsibilities involves touring the country. All of the band’s primary performing units embark each year on concert tours throughout specified regions of the country, allowing the band to reach out to audiences in areas of the country that do not have opportunities to see the Navy’s premier musical ensembles on a regular basis. The concerts are family-friendly events, meant to be entertaining to veterans, families, individuals and those interested in joining the Navy.
“For many years, Navy bands have been where it matters, when it matters, just like the rest of our Navy. Today, we have Sailors performing around the world, improving relations with our allies abroad as well as telling the Navy story here at home,” said Capt. Kenneth Collins, U.S. Navy Band commanding officer.
- The U.S. Navy Band is the flagship musical organization of the Navy and one of 11 Navy bands located around the world.
- The U.S. Navy Band is based at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C.
- The Sea Chanters 2022 tour will cover 13 cities and more than 3,000 miles.
- The Navy Band has been touring the country since 1925.
- There are six performing ensembles in the Navy Band: the Concert Band, Ceremonial Band, Sea Chanters chorus, Commodores jazz ensemble, Country Current country/bluegrass ensemble and the Cruisers popular music group.
- Ensembles from the Navy Band tour nationally 12-15weeks each year. Sailors in the Navy Band are full-time professional musicians.
- Almost all of the Sailors in the Navy Band have undergraduate degrees in music, and most have graduate degrees.