Shortbread is simple to make, and is a perfect holiday treat. This spin on a shortbread cookie adds zesty lemon and sweet corn to the party. These melt-in-your-mouth lemon cookies include butter and confectioners sugar for a “whipped” texture. Enjoy!
- 1 cup (93g) organic masa harina
- 1 cup (120g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 16 Tbsp (226g) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest (grated rinds) of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (66g) granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking pans with parchment paper.
- Weight your flours, or measure by gently spooning into a cup and sweeping off any excess.
- In a small bowl, whisk the two flours to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together butter, confectioners sugar, salt and lemon zest at medium-high speed until very smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients, mixing on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Portion the dough into 1 1/2” balls (using a tablespoon cookie scoop works great).
- Gently roll the balls in the granulated sugar to coat. Place them on the trays 2” inches apart.
- Using a fork, press to lightly flatten the top of each cookie once.
- Bake the cookies for 12-16 minutes, or until the they’re set and the edges slightly brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and and allow them to cool on the baking sheet. Cool completely before serving, as they’re quite fragile when hot.
- Enjoy! Store cookies, well wrapped at room temperature for several days, or freeze for longer.