Listing your Kenosha County home for sale can be an exciting prospect, especially when the market is on fire. Now is the perfect time to list your home to get the “biggest bang for your buck.” Homes in the Kenosha area are selling fast and, oftentimes, above asking prices. The National Association of Realtors chief economist Lawrence Yun predicts home prices will rise by 3 percent in 2021. “The consequent rise in home prices have boosted wealth accumulation for homeowners.”
Why is it beneficial to list your home and consider the impact of commission rates NOW?
- Home demand is at an all time high in the Kenosha County area.
- Low inventory translates to your home selling fast. Most homes in the Kenosha area are selling in days after receiving multiple offers their FIRST day on the market. This means your realtor’s main focus is on the frontend of your sale to help you stage your home for the best price and quickly negotiating the most profitable offer for your home.
- Today’s historically low interest rates offer buyers an opportunity to maintain a low monthly payment while getting more home for their money. Which means a larger pool of buyers are able and willing to consider higher priced homes.
- High demand AND low inventory equals perfect conditions for sellers to get high prices and put more money in their pockets when they work with a COVE agent that offers a lower commission rate.
When considering hiring a real estate agent 1-2% probably doesn’t sound like a large difference but at the closing table it impacts how large your final sale check is. Here’s a handy chart to give you a better idea what you’ll save when you use a Cove realtor versus a larger brokerage.
Ten Steps to Consider
Listing your home can require a little forethought and planning however, especially if you want the transaction to be smooth and as stress free as possible. Although the first step is always finding and working with the best real estate agents (cue Cove Realty), here are ten additional steps all homeowners should consider before listing their home.
1. Planning. There are a number of steps, projects and just plain ol’ work you will have to do to potentially get ready to list your home. A great first step is to pick a date you want to list by and work backwards from that. This will help you outline the time you need to finish last minute projects and more.
2. It’s no longer your home. Stop looking at your house as your home – it is now an asset that you are trying to sell. This focus can help you look more objectively at the details of your house. This is also a great time to ask friends, family or your Cove Realtor for their opinions on what to fix or update. Their opinions can help see imperfections you might have overlooked.
3. Money. Talk to your Cove Real Estate agent about the market and the comps in your neighborhood. Understanding what houses in your area are selling for can help you have realistic goals for your home and it can help you set the optimal listing price.
4. Find a handyman/woman and get busy. This is the time to make a list, check it twice and then get to work on projects. Fix those little problems you’ve been ignoring for years, from small cracks to running toilets. Potential buyers will notice these small, seemingly inconsequential items and it could cost you. According to the Zillow Group Report, the average seller makes 2.2 renovations or improvements to prepare to sell, and 79% of sellers make at least one home improvement. Only 21% of sellers list their home as-is.
5. Paint. Although you may love your bright orange wall or your child’s funky color selection, potential buyers might not. A fresh coat of paint will give your home a new/clean look and can help hide imperfections. Shades such as whites, light grays, and light beiges can make your home appear bigger, brighter and more inviting. According to the Zillow Group Report, 36% of sellers paint the interior before selling.
6. Clean. It’s time to spring clean, regardless of what month it is. Deep cleaning, de-cluttering and organizing can help your home look bigger, more welcoming and can help it smell better. A potential buyer wants to envision their belongings in your home and not to be distracted by your personal items and little (or big) messes. This is a perfect time to purge old, unnecessary items for your move also. Here is some great advice on how to reduce your belongings before a move.
7. Staging. There are several studies on the effect of staging when it comes to listing your home. Sprucing up your home’s appeal with strategically placed furniture and artwork can help set the stage for a buyer. Here are some great tips from Moving.com on how to stage your home on a budget.
8. Curb appeal. First impressions are important and your home’s exterior is key. Edging the lawn, planting flowers or even just an A+ snow removal and cleaning are all important to a potential buyer as they approach your home.
9. Stock up on light bulbs, cookies and candles. When listing your home, you want to showcase every amazing corner and, to do that, you need light. During a showing, you want all of your lights and lamps to be on to help your home seem more inviting and spacious. You also don’t want to have your home smelling like your pet, your dinner or, gasp, the garbage. Prior to a showing, bake some cookies or light a subtle candle.
10. Flowers and an exit plan. Special touches, prior to a showing, can go a long way. Fresh flowers or a plate of the above-mentioned cookies can add a nice welcoming touch to your home’s open house or tour. It is also important to keep your home CLEAN and in tip-top shape for any potential last-minute showings. Having an exit plan ready so your agent can bring potential buyers in for a tour is also helpful, both for you and your agent. Buyers will be substantially less inclined to really look at your home if you are on the premises. Trust your realtor to show your home off in it’s best possible light during a tour and make yourself scarce.
Now that your plan is in place and you are ready to list your home in the Kenosha area, contact Cove Realty.
What You Can Expect from Cove Realty:
- We guarantee you will save thousands of dollars when you use Cove Realty to list your home for sale.
- Commissions range between 3% and 5%. Cove Realtors help Kenosha clients save, on average, $2,300 at closing!
- Commission rate reduction if Cove Realty is utilized to purchase your new home.
- Home is put into Multiple Listing Service (MLS) which gives realtors access and incentive to sell your home (co- broke 2.4%).
- Home is put on all major Real Estate websites, our site, realtor.com, Trulia and Zillow. Additional interior photos included on our website showcasing your home.
- We handle all the negotiations and paperwork involved. Read more about why realtors are the right choice when selling.
- Timely and consistent communication from your Cove agent regarding showings, feedback, offers, counter offers, inspections, appraisals, amendments, notices and great advice throughout the entire transaction. We will review your closing statement with you prior to closing so there are no surprises on the day you actually close. We pride ourselves in educating our Sellers and making sure every single question or concern is answered in a very timely manner.
- Professional FOR SALE sign is placed in your yard with a flyer to showcase your home.
- We handle all appointments and showings.
- Open Houses and related advertising are done at the broker’s discretion.
- Cancellation Guarantee Agreement.