G. Gleichmann Groceries was located at 1316 59th Street in the early-1900s. By the late-1920s or early-1930s, there were over 140 neighborhood grocery stores in a city of 50,000 residents.

Grocery stores galore: The history of food shopping in Kenosha

Before supermarkets, shoppers relied on neighborhood small businesses
Steve Marovich

By Steve MarovichKENOSHA.COM

Marovich brings a diverse skill set to Kenosha.com with his years of experience as Carthage College sports information/assistant athletic director and educational background in political science, along with a 10-year stint as a restaurant line cook and sous chef.

Food shopping has changed drastically over the years. 

Supermarkets, as we now know them, didn’t exist in Kenosha until the mid-1950s. Before then, families walked down the street to a combination grocery store and meat market. Every neighborhood in town had several of these storefront operations to choose from. 

By the late-1920s or early-1930s, there were over 140 neighborhood grocery stores in a city of 50,000 residents. In 2022, with a population of 100,000, Kenosha is down to six such neighborhood food stores. What follows is a geographical survey, by neighborhood, of those small businesses that are no longer with us.

Just to prove that the past is prologue, downtown Kenosha is getting a new meat market this summer. The Sherwood Game Farm in Caledonia plans to open the Sherwood Forest Meat Market at 5537 6th Avenue on or about July 1. The market is expected to carry beef, lamb, pork and poultry.

This building, at the northeast corner of 56th Street, once housed one of Kenosha’s icons, the old Mayer Drugs building. Built in 1910 with five upstairs apartments and an additional commercial space around the corner (which now houses Trecroci Realty), the drug store operated for more than 70 years (first as Williams Drugs from 1916 to 1921 and Mayer Drugs from 1923 to 1987). The iconic Mayer Drug sign remains on the roof of the building.  

Downtown

5507 6th Avenue

Now the home of Shoe Soldier, Fonte & DiCello Grocery operated here in the 1920s.

5628 6th Avenue

In 1904, before the Social Security building was constructed on the northwest corner of 6th Avenue and 57th Street, there was a Kroger’s Grocery near the corner.

5809 6th Avenue

The Great American Grocery Store was located near the southeast corner of 6th Avenue and 58th Street in the 1920s.  The two anchor stores on that corner, Block Brothers and Lepp & Company, were destroyed in a 1932 fire, along with the 5809 address.

5812 6th Avenue

This address, currently under renovation, was home to Girman Brothers Grocery from about 1945 to 1964.

5820 6th Avenue

Currently the House of Nutrition & Wellness, the National Tea Company ran a branch store here in the 1930s and mid-1940s.

5804 7th Avenue

Now a parking lot for the former Kenosha News building, this site once housed Perkins Brothers Grocery in the 1920s, Uptown Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s and Buehler Brothers Grocery in the late-1950s.

5500 8th Avenue

5500 8th Avenue was a Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company store (A & P) from about 1945 to 1974. Later, it was re-developed into the Ventura Building, which was demolished a few years ago.

5415 11th Avenue

Angelici & Settimi’s Grocery and Meats/Angelici Food Shop was located on this corner in the 1920s and 1930s. The entire block was demolished for the current Kenosha Public Safety Building.

5815 11th Avenue

Now a vacant lot, Trovato Grocery was here in the 1920s, followed by Bennett’s Grocery in the 1930s.

5315 13th Avenue

Before the area was re-developed for the Station Apartments, the 5300 block of 13th Avenue was quite commercial, with taverns, hotels and the Northwestern Food Store, which survived at 5315 until at least the late-1950s.

929 52nd Street

On the southwest corner of Sheridan Road and 52nd Street, near where a giant gas tank once stood, was the Buri Food Shop, which was open from the 1920s to about 1964.

926 54th Street

Forte Brothers Grocery occupied the northeast corner of 10th Avenue and 54th Street in the late-1920s until the early-1940s. That corner is now the Kenosha County parking structure.

625-27 56th Street

Now a Subway restaurant, the Phillips Food Market stood here in a previous building in the 1930s.

713 56th Street

Just to the west of The Down Town’R Saloon is a newer and small building that used to house an insurance agency.  Before the insurance agency building was constructed, this address held Janowtiz’ Grocery in the early-1940s and Green’s Trading Post in the mid-to-late 1940s.

624 57th Street

The Kenosha Creative Space currently occupies a 1957 building at 624 57th Street. The current building replaced an older structure that held the Host Market from the mid-1940s to the mid-1950s.

612 58th Street

On the northwest corner of 6th Avenue and 58th Street is a vacant 1952 building that was once a Kresge’s. On the 58th Street side of the previous building was Buehler Brothers Grocery in the mid-to-late 1940s.

625 58th Street

Currently Silk & Satin, the Stevens Grocery operated here in the 1920s.

643 58th Street

Now Salon Technique, this address housed a Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company store in the 1930s.

716-20 58th Street

716-20 58th Street

Most recently these two addresses housed Lulu Birds Antiques (and well before that a wonderful wine shop owned by Bob Mitchell named Sommelier) and the former home of Public Craft Brewing. Well before that, it was Green’s Trading Post in the 1930s, Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company in the early-1940s and the main Kenosha Kroger’s Grocery in the mid-to-late 1940s. Both addresses are currently vacant storefronts.

5820 Sheridan Road

Now a parking lot for St. James Church, McCaffrey’s Grocery was located in a former building in the late-1920s.

6019 Sheridan Road

Now a residence, Principe’s Home Style Food Shop was located here between 1964 and 1969.

Harborside

5022 6th Avenue

Still standing and currently the QPS Employment Group, this unique building where 6th and 7th Avenues intersect was the home of Hrupka’s Quality Foods for over 50 years from the 1930s to around 1987.

Hrupka’s Quality Foods at 5022 6th Ave.

5128 6th Avenue

Now the home of Red Line Cycles, Sol’s Kosher Meat Market and Delicatessen operated here in the mid-1950s.

4052-58 7th Avenue

The rather dilapidated 1904 building, a former location of Hoernel Lock and Key, was Fox’ Grocery in the 1920s and Klein’s Grocery from the 1930s to about 1959.

4224 7th Avenue

Now Rutz’ Puzzle House tavern, this was Stevens Grocery in the 1920s.

4225 7th Avenue

Now residential, this was an A & P in the 1920s, Schmoekel’s Grocery in the early-1940s and Frederick’s Grocery in the latter part of the 1940s.

4326 7th Avenue

Now Alpaca Art, this was a longtime grocery location including an A & P in the 1930s, North Side Market in the mid-1940s, Lesniak and Sons Grocery/Lesniak Food Shop (1954-74), De Bartolo’s Grocery (1979-87) and Kenosha Grocery (1990s until Alpaca Art took over the space).

4327 7th Avenue

Now residential, but there was once a commercial space on the ground floor that held Joerndt’s Grocery in the 1920s.

4610 7th Avenue

The current home at this address was built in 1950. Prior to that, this was Schentek’s Grocery from the 1920s until the early-1940s.

4718 7th Avenue

Now a driveway, Werner’s Grocery was here in the 1920s.

4900 7th Avenue

Currently the Actor’s Craft Studio, this was Kula’s Food Store in the mid-to-late 1970s.

4913 7th Avenue

Engel’s Grocery stood at this address in the 1920s, which is now part of the Boat House Pub & Eatery.

5135 7th Avenue

Now a parking lot, Papan’s Grocery was located here in the 1920s.

4508 8th Avenue

Currently home to Spectrum Pest Control and an attached residence, this was Stephens’ Grocery in the 1920s.

4601 8th Avenue

Demolished a few years ago, this corner building housed Gehl’s Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s.

4626-28 8th Avenue

Now a residence, this was a Stevens Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s.

716 43rd Street

Now occupied by Yoga & Friends, this was Schroeder’s Market from about 1945 to 1964.

805 43rd Street

Now a residence, this was Bloom’s Grocery in the 1920s.

711 46th Street

Now Nature’s Gallery Studio, Rostker’s Grocery occupied this space from the 1920s to about 1945.

933 46th Street

This address housed Linkevich & Sprindis Grocery and Meats in the 1920s.

824 47th Street

Now Re:Vision Art Gallery, Bobusch Brothers Grocery occupied this storefront from the 1930s to the late 1960s.

719 50th Street

Now Champions Sports Bar, this 1927 building housed Zager’s Food Market in the 1930s.

722 50th Street

Currently Cypress Tree Antiques, this address was the first home of Zager’s Food Market in the 1920s and later Burdick’s Grocery in the late 1940s.

725 50th Street

Currently The Lettering Machine, this was Rauen’s Grocery in the 1930s.

714 52nd Street

Across from Kenosha’s city administration building is a vacant lot that was once a giant Allen Tannery building and may or may not be filled with apartments and condos someday. From about 1954 to 1969, it held a brand new Kroger’s Grocery Store.

Bain Park

6350 11th Avenue

Now a newer residence, Barnes Grocery stood here in the 1920s.

6350 12th Avenue

A relatively new home sits on the 6350 12th Avenue lot where Ramacci & Cosenza’s Grocery stood in the 1930s, followed by the Sterling Food Shop in the early-1940s and Benko’s Grocery in the mid-1940s.

6526 16th Avenue

Now a residential block, Nudo’s Grocery operated at 6526 14th Avenue in the late-1920s.

Columbus Park/Mount Carmel

5425 14th Avenue

An 1878 wood frame home is in back of a brick commercial space that housed Rizzo’s Grocery in the 1920s.

5301 17th Avenue

Built in 1900 and one of the older grocery buildings still in existence, 5301 17the Avenue was home to Grotsky’s Meat Market and Grocery from about 1937 to 1959 and then the Friendly Food Market from 1996 to 2008.

5205-07 19th Avenue

Fligel’s Grocery occupied a building on this site in 1927.

5628 19th Avenue

Now a vacated machine shop, this address was home to Gentile Food Products in 1942.

5700 19th Avenue

This 1905 building was home to Obertin’s Grocery in the 1920s.

1916 43rd Street

6041 20th Avenue

Now a vacant corner lot on the northeast corner of 20th Avenue and 61st Street, this property was Graves Grocery in the 1920s before becoming the third location of Mantuano’s Grocery. The latter, owned by Sam and Maria “Jesse” Mantuano, was first located at 1916 43rd Street in the early-1940s. After several years on 43rd Street, the Mantuanos moved the business to 4323 17th Avenue around 1945 and then to 6041 20th Avenue around 1959. The grocery was still operating in the late-1960s.

Sam and Jessie had six children, one of whom was Eugene “Gig” Mantuano, who married Dorothy Miller. Gig and Dorothy had five children of their own, including three who made an impact on Kenosha’s restaurant business:  Susan Mantuano-Tishuk, Tony Mantuano and Eugene Mantuano Jr. Those three, along with their father, opened Mangia Trattoria at 5717 Sheridan Road in 1988, which soon became the pinnacle of fine dining in Kenosha. Mangia closed in January 2018 and was later destroyed in a fire stemming from the civil unrest in downtown Kenosha in August 2020.

Tony remains a renowned chef who first brought fine Italian dining to Spiaggia on North Michigan Avenue and remained for 35 years. In 2005, he was named the James Beard Foundation’s “Best Chef Midwest.” Mantuano currently guides the culinary program at The Joseph, a Luxury Collection Hotel in Nashville, Tenn.

5300 22nd Avenue

Now a vacant lot/parking area, there used to be a building here that was the home of Roscioli Brothers Grocery in the 1920s and the Independent Super Food Mart from about 1947 to 1979.

5420 22nd Avenue

Now a residential block, this was once a commercial area that included Dante Speca’s Grocery at 5420 from the 1920s until about 1961. By 1979, 5420 had become Café Gatto Pardo, a very well-known Columbus Park Italian restaurant. Café Gatto Pardo closed in the mid-1980s.

5400 block of 22nd Avenue in 1980 (Café Gatto Pardo dark brick building in background).

5500 24th Avenue

Now a vacant corner lot, but Molinaro’s Grocery operated here in the 1920s.

5609-11 22nd Avenue 

Now a liquor store, Pacetti’s Grocery was at this address for at least 20 years between 1927 and 1947.

5700 22nd Avenue

Now a vacant corner lot, but Pasquali’s Grocery operated here from the 1930s to around 1954.

5524 23rd Avenue

Now a vacant lot, this address was Zanotti’s Grocery in the late 1920s.

5500 24th Avenue

A relatively-new residence now sits on the former site of Molinari’s Grocery, which operated here in the 1930s and early-1940s.

5538 24th Avenue

The former site of Mico’s Grocery from the 1920s and the Central Food Market, from the mid-1950s to the late-1960s, is now a vacant lot.

5305 25th Avenue

Now a home but once home to Ricchio’s Grocery in the late-1930s and early-1940s.

5609 25th Avenue

Now a vacant lot, Romanowski’s Grocery was located at 5609 25th Avenue in the 1930s.

1345-47 52nd Street

Currently a vacant storefront, this was D’Angelo’s Grocery in the mid-to-late 1940s.

San Jose Bakery at 1355 52nd Street

1355 52nd Street

This longtime commercial building at 1351-55 52nd Street, currently is the home of the San Jose Bakery, housed Frese’s Grocery and Meats from the 1920s to the late 1950s and Herter’s Market in the 1960s.

2101 52nd Street

Formerly the Kitchen Design Studio, this 1914 building on the southwest corner of 21st Avenue and 52nd Street housed Jakutis’ Grocery in the mid-1940s and the Kenosha Quality Meat Market in the 1960s.

2419 52nd Street

Now home to the Puppy Tub & Motel, this building was the longtime home to Armando Speca’s Grocery from the 1920s to the mid-1950s.

2225 53rd Street

This 1922 building, the longtime home of Cardinali’s Bakery, was also the home of Mesunas’ Grocery in the 1920s and Nudi’s Grocery in the 1930s.

1200 54th Street

On the northwest corner of 11th Avenue and 54th Street stood one of the longest-running neighborhood grocery stores in Kenosha. Gentile’s Grocery opened sometime in the late-1920s a few blocks west of the railroad tracks at 1512 57th Street. The store moved to 1200 54th Street a few years later and lasted until at least the late-1970s. The corner is now part of the Station Apartment complex.

1403 54th Street

On the southwest corner of 14th Avenue and 54th Street was Bastianelli’s Food Market from the 1930s to the late-1950s and later a branch of Connolly & Jewell Finer Foods in the 1960s.

1515 54th Street

Now a residence at the southwest corner of 15th Avenue and 54th Street, this one-story brick structure housed Tarsitano’s Grocery in the 1930s.

2020 54th Street

Still standing at the southeast corner of 21st Avenue and 54th Street is the former Niesen’s Grocery building which was open in the 1920s.

Model Market at 2327 54th Street

2327 54th Street

Guidotti’s Grocery was open here in the 1920s, 1930s and early-1940s, with a later branch store at 3724-26 Roosevelt Road. 2327 became Model Market in 1947 and remained open until destroyed by a fire on Jan. 5, 2022.

1620 55th Street

The first home of Tenuta’s Grocery was located here in the late-1920s.

Tenuta’s Grocery at 1620 55th Street

2005-07 55th Street

Now a two-story residence, there is a closed-up first-floor space that might have been a commercial space at one time. In any event, this address was the location for Perri’s Grocery in the 1920s, Torcaso’s Grocery in the 1930s, Taristano’s Grocery in the early-1940s, Tenuta’s Grocery in the mid-1940s and Fonk’s Grocery in the mid-1950s.

2310 55th Street

Currently a two-story residence, this address was the location of Conforti’s Grocery and Meats from the 1920s to the early-1940s.

Travanty Food Market at 1511 56th Street

1511 56th Street

The Travanty Food Market was in business for at least 42 years between 1937 and 1979. The building still stands and is now Varnell & Hoy’s Hair Boutique.

1935 56th Street

Now a vacant lot, Leonetti Brothers Grocery stood on this site in the early-1940s.

2219 56th Street

The commercial portion of this 1905 building still stands, just west of a residence at 2217 56th Street. Oliveiri’s Grocery was here in the late-1920s and later Josie’s BBQ.

2304 56th Street

Now residential, the first location of the Columbia Food Store was here in the late-1930s and early-1940s.

2316 56th Street

A relatively new house and garage now sits on the site of Beckmann’s Grocery, which stood here in the late-1920s, followed by the second location of the Columbia Food Store in the late-1940s and the Aiello Food Shop in the mid-to-late 1950s.

1200 57th Street

A driveway now stands on the lot where Stolp’s Grocery operated in the late-1920s.

1504 57th Street

A vacant lot now sits on the former site of Dicks Grocery, which operated in the late-1920s.

Tenuta’s Grocery second location at 1512 57th Street

1512 57th Street

Still standing but now residential, this structure at the northeast corner of 16th Avenue and 57th Street housed Gentile’s Grocery (1927) and then the second location of Tentua’s Grocery (1937-42).

1625 57th Street

Located at the southeast corner of 17th Avenue and 57th Street and still a grocery store after an amazing 85 years, this store was Fasulo’s Food Market from the 1930s to around 1964, Molinaro’s Grocery and Delicatessen in the 1970s, Valente Grocery in the 1980s, Mike’s Grocery from about 1996 to 2001 and now Jim’s Foods.

Jim’s Foods at 1625 57th Street

1708 57th Street

Now a parking lot for Frank Elementary School, Ideal Market was located here in the 1930s and 1940s.

2100 57th Street

Now a residential garage, this address was Poerio’s Grocery in the late-1920s.

Tirabassi’s Grocery at 2101 57th Street

2101 57th Street

In a building that still stands at the southwest corner of 21st Avenue and 57th Street, Tirabassi’s Grocery operated from the 1920s to the early-1940s.

2117 57th Street

Located on the southeast corner of 22nd Avenue and 57th Street. Capelli & Sons Grocery operated here from about 1919 to 1945. The corner is now occupied by several newer homes.

Capelli & Sons Grocery at 2117 57th Street
PHOTO: COURTESY OF BRIAN AND DAN MCTERNAN

2200 57th Street

Now a parking lot, this corner held Barca’s Grocery in the early-1940s.

1316 59th Street

This address was the site of Gleichmann’s Grocery in the 1910s, Sitzmann’s Grocery in the 1920s and Cardinali’s Grocery from the 1930s to the late-1950s.

Uptown

6041 20th Avenue

Now a vacant corner lot, this property was the home of Cohen’s Grocery from the 1930s to the mid-1950s, followed by the El Milagro Food Store in the mid-1970s and La Potosina Grocery in the late-1970s.

6034 22nd Avenue

Now the home of Isla Del Mar #4, this was the site of Karnes Grocery in the 1920s.

6200 22nd Avenue

The National Tea Company operated a branch store in this space in the 1930s and 1940s. La Estrella, a Hispanic grocery, was operating in the space when building was destroyed by fire during the civil disorder in downtown Kenosha in August 2020.

6208-10 22nd Avenue

There was a Kroger’s Grocery branch store at this address from the 1930s to about 1954. This building was a casualty of the fires that burned through Uptown during the August 2020 civil disobedience.

6212-16 22nd Avenue

A Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A & P) store operated here in the 1930s and subsequently moved to 6114 22nd Avenue (1942-74). This address is now occupied by the Luminarias Banquet Hall.

6218-20 22nd Avenue

6218-20 22nd Avenue was the commercial space in front of the Danish American Club. Several well-known Kenosha markets operated stores here, including Hub Market in the 1930s and 1940s, Connolly’s Super Market/Connolly & Jewell Finer Foods in the 1950s and 1960s and Ken & Don’s Avenue Food Mart in the late-1960s. The entire building was destroyed by fire during the civil disobedience in downtown Kenosha in August 2020.

6312 22nd Avenue

A second branch of Frese’s Grocery opened here in 1942, with the original remaining at 1355 52nd Street. Uptown Shoe Repair was a longtime occupant of the storefront, which is now a Boostmobile cellphone operation.

6105 24th Avenue

Now a residence, Perri’s Meats and Grocery operated here around 1945.

6309 24th Avenue

A driveway now occupies the former site of Odelberg’s Food Shop which operated here in the 1940s and 1950s. The business moved from 2400 Roosevelt Road and then moved to 3016 75th Street in the 1960s.

6309 30th Avenue

Now a driveway, Stroutman’s Grocery was here in the late-1920s.

6323 30th Avenue

Now residential, Marescalco’s Grocery was here in the late-1920s.

2433 60th Street

Zamsky’s Grocery operated here in the 1930s in part of the building that now houses the Hattrix Club.

2531 60th Street

This building housed Becker Brothers Grocery and Meats in the late-1920s, Bell’s Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s and Warnis Grocery in the 1950s.

Sir Claude’s at 2327 63rd Street

2327 63rd Street

Now Sir Claude’s Beauty and Barber Shop, Heyden’s Market operated here for more than 50 years from around 1945 to 1996.

2828 63rd Street

In the category of “Who knew?,” what is now a parking lot for an auto salvage operation was apparently the first home of the iconic Mars Cheese Castle around 1947.

2901 63rd Street

This vacant, two-story brick building was the home of Hoffmann’s Grocery in the late-1920s and then Carl’s Market or the second home of Houlette’s Market in the 1930s and early-1940s.

6309 30th Avenue

Now a driveway, this was the home to the Sanitary Grocery and Meat Market in the 1930s and early 1940s.

14th Avenue, South

6201 14th Avenue

Tyson’s Grocery stood at 6201 14th Avenue in the late-1920s in a building that no longer exists.

6225 14th Avenue

The corner building, which still stands, housed Anton’s Saloon prior to Prohibition. After Prohibition, DeLuca & Firmani’s Grocery occupied the site in the 1930s and into the late-1940s before Smith’s Food Store from around 1954 to 1974.

6327 14th Avenue

The area around the southeast corner of 14th Avenue and 63rd Street once had a variety of businesses, but it’s now an exercise yard for the Kenosha Correctional Center. Kenosha Grocery and Meat Market stood at 6327 14th Avenue in 1927.

6510 14th Avenue

Now a residential block, this address housed Horochena’s Grocery from the 1920s to about 1969.

6739-41 14th Avenue

This 1898 home housed Potter’s Grocery in the 1920s and Walanovicz’ Grocery in the 1930s.

6755 14th Avenue

This 1927 corner building, which still stands, housed the Lincoln Food Shop from around 1942 to the mid-1950s.

6803 14th Avenue

The storefront addition to an 1899 home housed Sarah’s Food Shop in the 1960s and later Las Palmas Grocery in the 1980s.

6821 14th Avenue

This 1929 building housed Potter’s Grocery in the 1930s.

Lincoln Supermarket at 6830 14th Avenue

6830 14th Avenue

This building, constructed in 1919, was the main Kenosha store for the National Tea Company in the 1930s and into the late-1940s before becoming the Peoples’ Food Center in the early-1950s, Liberty Foods (dates unknown) and currently the Lincoln Supermarket.

6925 14th Avenue

The Greenwald Grocery was located here in the 1920s in a building that is now the Iglesia de Dios Pentecostal Church.

6927-33 14th Avenue

The north portion of this 1920 building housed a Kroger’s Grocery in the 1939s and early-1940s. The south portion was a Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A & P) in the 1930s and Stella’s Grocery from 1942 to 1974.

7432 14th Avenue or 1400 75th Street

A building no longer in existence once housed Stevens Grocery (1926), Berry’s Grocery and Meats (1927-37), a branch of Nickels Quality Market (1942) and Stein & Raiman’s Grocery (1945-59). Next door, to the west, would have been 1410 75th Street, home to Pierson’s Grocery (1927). The site now has a newer office building for Capelli Law Office.

Roosevelt

2200 Roosevelt Road 

At the northwest corner of 22nd Avenue and Roosevelt Road, most recently the home of Black Pearl Tattoo, Nelson’s Grocery operated for a few years during World War II.

Alfred Bounsell’s Grocery and later Rode’s Camera Shop at 2204 Roosevelt Road

2204 Roosevelt Road

This address housed Bounsell’s Grocery in the mid-1910s and Jackson Grocery from the 1920s to the early-1940s.  Later the building became home to Kenosha’s iconic Rode’s Camera Shop, which was destroyed by fire in the August 2020 riots.

2233 Roosevelt Road

Located at the southeast corner of Roosevelt Road and 23rd Avenue and most recently occupied by Ceramic Expressions, one of several branches of Stevens Grocery operated here in the late-1920s.

2315 Roosevelt Road

Now the home of the CDL Driving School, Bulls Market was here in the late 1940s.

2400 Roosevelt Road

The first of three locations for Odelberg’s Food Shop in the 1920s and 1930s was located in this two-story building at the northwest corner of Roosevelt Road and 23rd Avenue. Later, Odelberg’s was followed by Kuessow’s Grocery in the mid-1940s, Ernie’s Grocery in the late-1940s and Qualiss Foods from about 2006 to 2008.

2604 Roosevelt Road

Now a corner vacant lot at the northwest side of Roosevelt Road and 26th Avenue, a branch of the National Tea Company was open here from the 1920s to the early-1940s.

2635 Roosevelt Road

The Phillips Food Market was located at 2635 Roosevelt Road in the 1930s. Today, the storefront is the home of The Computer Connection, this author’s go-to place for computer repairs and vexing software breakdowns.

2800 Roosevelt Road

This handsome 1922 two-story brick building at the northwest corner of Roosevelt Road and 27th Avenue was the home of Berenson’s Grocery from the 1920s to the mid-1950s.

2807 Roosevelt Road

Now the Kenosha Senior Center, 2807 Roosevelt Road was home to Family Food Products in the mid-1950s.

2902 Roosevelt Road

The current building on the property, the A.B. Schmitz Insurance Agency, was built in 1947. A previous structure housed a branch store of Kroger’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s.

3004 Roosevelt Road

3004 Roosevelt Road

This space housed a series of grocery stores, including Friedman’s Grocery in the 1920s, Ben’s Market in the 1930s and 1940s, Skowronski’s Grocery in the late 1940s and Ollie’s Market in the 1950s. Currently a vacated laundromat.

3006 Roosevelt Road

Next door to 3004 Roosevelt Road was a Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A & P) store in the 1930s. Currently vacant commercial space.

3010 Roosevelt Road

On the same block of Roosevelt Road was Nickel’s Quality Market in the 1930s and 1940s. Currently vacant commercial space.

3600 Roosevelt Road

3600 Roosevelt Road

This building was constructed in 1920 as the home to Klaes’ Grocery. Other grocery occupiers included Steinberg’s Grocery in the mid-1920s, Gordon’s Grocery in the late-1920s, Nielsen & Sons Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s and the Hartnell Brothers Food Shop in the late-1940s and 1950s. Later, the building became the home of the Kenosha Insulation Company.

3614 Roosevelt Road

Emer Eye Care now occupies the site where a previous building held Klafter’s Food Shop in the 1940s.

3726 Roosevelt Road

This building, originally constructed in 1924 and currently a dentist office, was the home of Lia Brothers Grocery in the 1920s, Guidotti’s Grocery in the 1930s and the Roosevelt Food Shop from about 1947 to 1964.

3820-24 Roosevelt Road

This building, on the northeast corner of Roosevelt Road and 39th Avenue, used to be a National Tea Company branch store in the 1930s and 1940s, as well as Larsen’s Food Mart in the 1950s.

One Stop Grocery & Liquor at 6525 26th Avenue

6525 26th Avenue

This address has had a grocery store since at least 1945, beginning with Olsen’s Grocery in the 1940s and 1950, Carl’s Market in the 1960s and currently One Stop Grocery & Liquor.

6612 26th Avenue

This address was the home of Walraven’s Grocery from the 1920s to the mid-1940s and then Whelihan’s Grocery in the late 1940s and 1950s. The front and retail portion of the structure was most recently occupied by Pencil N Brush Studio.

6900 26th Avenue

This unusual commercial space at the southwest corner of 26th Avenue and 69th Street, still stands and was the home of Jepson’s Grocery from the 1920s to the early-1940s, as well as the second home of Tal’s Food Shop in the mid-1940s and then Uhlich’s Market from the mid-1940s until the late-1950s.

6332 28th Avenue

Now residential, Dicks Grocery was here in the late 1920s.

6415 28th Avenue

Now a vacant lot, Male’s Grocery was in business at this address in the late 1920s.

6721 30th Avenue

Now a parking lot but once the first home of Houlette’s Market in the late-1920s.

6603 33rd Avenue

Now a parking lot but once the home of Goodman Grocery in the 1920s and 1930s, Sprindis’ Grocery around 1942 and the Southwest Food Shop from around 1945 to 1959.

7411 38th Avenue

Now residential but once the home of Roberts’ Store at Your Door in the 1930s.

6229 39th Avenue

Now a newer office building for the Office Pro Services Group, Maccari’s Grocery operated here in an older building in the 1930s and 1940s, followed by Paul’s Food Shop in the 1950s and 1960s.

6829 39th Avenue

Currently an office for the Vince Iaquinta Insurance Agency, Andrulis Grocery operated here from the 1920s to around 1954, followed by the Highland View Food Shop in the 1960s and Koesterman’s Grocery in the late-1960s.

2815 64th Street

Now part of a home, this address was Lubinski’s Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s, Pike’s Grocery in the late-1940s, Shaw’s Grocery in the 1950s, Wagner’s Nor Shore Grocery in the 1960s and Blanche’s Grocery in the late-1960s.

3016 75th Street

In 1959, this address housed Odelberg’s Food Shop, which had moved first from 2400 Roosevelt Road and then to 6309 24th Avenue. By 1969, the 3016 space was occupied by Lakeside Foods.

Allendale

6509 5th Avenue

This building, constructed in 1913 and now vacant, was the home of Stevens Grocery in the 1920s, Neilsen’s Food Shop/5th Avenue Food and Meat Market from about 1937 to 1959 and the Southport Food and Beer Depot in the 1960s.

6608 5th Avenue

This 1914 building, currently a residential structure, housed Kuretsky’s Grocery from about 1927 to 1959, Cario’s Food Shop in the 1960s and the Fifth Avenue Food Shop from about 1969 to 1987.

7507 7th Avenue

This building, constructed in 1928 and heavily remodeled for the current Allendale Academy, was the longtime home of the Allendale Food Market from about 1937 to 1964.

733-35 75th Street

Now a vacant lot, Limpert’s Grocery once stood here in the 1920s, 1930s and early-1940s.

Sheridan Road, South

6326-28 Sheridan Road

Now a residence, this was Heinz’ Grocery in the 1930s to the mid-1940s and then Scott’s Grocery and Meats around 1947.

6618 Sheridan Road

Currently a residence, this address was Burnside’s Grocery in the 1920s and Schwartz’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s.

6800 Sheridan Road

Currently a vacant storefront building, this was Southside Sanitary Grocery in the 1920s and Shevel’s Grocery in the early-1940s.

6804 Sheridan Road 

This 1914 building was once the home of both Jones’ Grocery and Margie’s Grocery in the 1950s.

6828 Sheridan Road

This building, on the northwest corner of 68th and Sheridan, is the south anchor of an older, five-business commercial block. 6820, which currently houses Ready 2 Groom pet grooming, once was the home of Wicks’ Grocery in the 1930s, Southside Sanitary Grocery in the early-1940s, Holman’s Food Shop in the late-1940s and Haebig’s Courtesy Market from around 1954 to 1964.

7016 Sheridan Road

A building immediately north of the railroad viaduct but no longer there, once housed Corman’s Grocery in the 1920s and 1930s.

7511 Sheridan Road

Now the corner parking lot of a Walgreens Pharmacy, this space once had a Kroger’s Grocery branch store in the 1930s and 1940s that later became the Poleski & Dart Grocery in the 1950s.

7516 Sheridan Road

Now the home of Keno Collision & Service, the previous building was the home of Van’s Quality Market in the mid-1940s.

Twisted Cuisine at 7546 Sheridan Road

7546 Sheridan Road

The current home of Twisted Cuisine housed at least 30 years of grocery stores, including Mantuano’s Meats in the 1920s, Holman’s Food Shop from about 1927 to 1945, Lang’s Food Market in the late-1940s, Lloyd Food Market in the 1950s and Bill’s High Grade Market in the 1960s before transitioning into Kathy’s Restaurant in the late-1970s and 1980s.

7944 Sheridan Road

The current Cellar Door Liquor Store property was a branch store of Kroger’s in the late 1960s.

8017 Sheridan Road

The current home of the Southport Lighthouse Recovery Center housed Fasulo’s Grocery from about 1959 to 1974.

Lincoln Park/St. Joe’s

6703 22nd Avenue

A home built in 2004 now occupies the former site of Quality Market Grocery and Meats from the 1920s, Smith’s Grocery from the 1930s and 1940s, the Parkview Food Shop from the late-1940s to the 1960s, Belmonte Imports and Grocery in the 1980s and the Rainbow Mart from about 1996 to 2001.

7511 22nd Avenue

This 1928 commercial structure, which also houses the Sunnyside Club to the south, was the home of Pileski’s Grocery in the north portion of the building in the 1930s and 1940s.

Al’s Super Mart at 7520 22nd Avenue
PHOTO: COURTESY OF BRIAN AND DAN MCTERNAN

7550 22nd Avenue

This 1945 building was the home of Capelli’s Royal Blue Super Mart, beginning in June 1945, which was renamed Al’s Super Mart and operated from about 1954 to 1982.

6705 24th Avenue

This building, on the northeast corner of 24th Avenue and 67th Street, was the home of Scheer’s Grocery from about 1927 to 1942 and Haidinger’s Grocery in the late-1940s.

6833 24th Avenue

This building, which still stands on the northeast corner of 24th Avenue and 69th Street, was home to DeWald’s Grocery in the 1920s and then Zager’s Food Shop from about 1942 to 1964.

6903 26th Avenue

The front of this residential unit has been remodeled as living space but in 1937, the Central Food Market occupied the front portion of the building.

Al’s Super Mart at 7520 22nd Avenue
PHOTO: COURTESY OF BRIAN AND DAN MCTERNAN

7213-19 26th Avenue

Located on the northeast corner of 26th Avenue and 73rd Street, this building was the home of Canavan’s Food Shop during the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.

1215 63rd Street

From the 1930s to the mid-1950s, this was the home of Kuyawa’s Certified Food Store/Kuyawa’s Market. Located just east of a railroad viaduct, this property has been re-developed into newer homes.

1217 63rd Street

Located just east of a railroad viaduct, Mantuano & Camireeri Grocery was located here in the 1920s. This property has been re-developed into newer homes.

1309 63rd Street

The area around the southeast corner of 14th Avenue and 63rd Street once had a variety of businesses but is now an exercise yard for the Kenosha Correctional Center. Wisconsin Food Products was located here in the late-1920s.

1321 63rd Street

The area around the southeast corner of 14th Avenue and 63rd Street once had a variety of businesses but is now an exercise yard for the Kenosha Correctional Center. Nieuwenhuyse Grocery was located here in the late-1920s.

2011 63rd Street

Now part of the grounds of Brass Community School, Tal’s Food Shop was located here in the early-1940s.

1501 65th Street

Now a newer residential block, a former building on this corner housed the Angelici Food Shop from the 1920s to around 1947 and later the Just Rite Food Shop in the late-1950s. The Angelici Food Shop was previously located at 5415 11th Avenue before that block was demolished for the current Kenosha Public Safety Building.

1519 65th Street

Rastik and Banis’ Grocery occupied this site in the 1920s, followed by Stipanuk’s Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s, Benko’s Grocery in the 1950s  and Koesterman’s Grocery in the 1960s. 1519 was re-developed at the same time as 1501 65th Street above.

1801 65th Street

1801 65th Street

This 1904 building is located at the southwest corner of 18th Avenue and 65th Street. It housed Roszko’s Grocery in the 1920s and 1930s and was later a series of taverns, including Beitas’ Bar (1939), Gene’s Tavern (1950-60) and the A & L Tavern. The building is currently home to a satellite television business.

1813 65th Street

Now a driveway, Saladis’ Grocery occupied this property in the 1930s and early-1940s.

2024 65th Street

This two-story, 1914 building, now residential, housed Corr’s Grocery in the 1920s, Mahfuz Brothers Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s, the Kenosha Food Market from 1945 to 1959 and De La Garza Grocery in the late-1970s.

2215 67th Street

Friedman’s Grocery and Meats used to operate at this address in the 1920s, as did Randall’s Foods from about 1954 to 1979) and Doc’s Stop and Shop in the 1980s. The site is now occupied by some newer homes.

2300 75th Street

Currently Salon Suites by Hair Unlimited, this 1921 building was formerly the home of Comes’ Grocery in the 1920s, Pachtel’s Grocery in the 1930s, Potente’s Food Shop in the mid-1940s, Covelli’s Grocery and Delicatessen from about 1947 to 1966 and Delfield’s Delicatessen from 1967 to 2003.

2527 75th Street

Currently McTernan’s U.S. Cellular/Mobile One store, this address was home to VanBendegom & Stuemke Grocery in the 1930s and early 1940s, Lemke’s Grocery in the mid-1940s and Potente’s Food Shop in the late 1940s.

2601 75th Street

Currently McTernan Wireless, this used to be Canavan’s Food Shop in the 1950s and then Sunnyside Food Mart in the 1960s. Canavan’s moved three blocks south from their original location of 7213 26th Avenue.

Sunnyside

2501 79th Street

Now totally a residential area, 2501 was home to Pitcher’s Grocery in 1964.

2117 91st Street

Now re-developed as apartments and condos, this property once included Klein’s Food Mart in the late-1960s and early-1970s.

Forest Park

6031 40th Avenue

Now a parking lot but once the home of the IGA Food Liner in the 1950s, Gorecki Foods in the 1960s and Sentry Foods in the 1970s.

5110 75th Street

Currently Jeffrey Motors, this address housed the Woodlawn Grocery in the 1970s and 1980s.

Washington Park/Holy Rosary/Jefferson School

4323 17th Avenue

Immediately north of Hills Hot Rod Hideout is residence with a former commercial space that once housed Praninsky’s Grocery in the 1920s, Malinowski’s Grocery in the 1930s and the Misurelli’s Food Shop in the 1950s.

4727 17th Avenue

Now a driveway, this was Doerflinger’s Grocery from the 1920s to the early-1940s.

4418 21st Avenue

Now a hair salon, this was Wasilevich’s Grocery in the 1920s, Banis’ Grocery in the 1930s and mid-1940s, Reuter Brothers Grocery in the late-1940s and Variety Food Store in the late-1950s.

4720 21st Avenue

Now a residence, this address was Grevenow’s Grocery in the 1920s.

4720 22nd Avenue

Formerly Scooter’s Tires, Bianchi’s Grocery operated here in the 1930s and 1940s, followed by the City Food Shop in the late-1940s.

5002 22nd Avenue 

The current home of Sherry’s Custom Tees housed Perona’s Grocery from the 1920s to about 1947 and Valeo’s Variety Food Store and Sausage Shop in the 1950s and 1960s.

Jurik’s Food Shop at 5042-44 22nd Avenue

5042-44 22nd Avenue

The one-story building on the northwest corner of 22nd Avenue and 50th Street was the longtime home of Jurik’s Food Shop from the 1920s to around 1969 and in the early 1970s, Mecozzi’s House of Ravioli.

5101 22nd Avenue

This storefront housed Zicarelli’s Grocery in the 1920s and Pierangeli’s Grocery from the 1930s to around 1959.

4800 25th Avenue

4800 25th Avenue

Still standing at the southwest corner of 25th Avenue and 48th Street is a now-abandoned one-story building that housed Putnam & Saladis Grocery in the 1920s, the Service Market in the 1930s and early-1940s, Benuska’s Food Shop in 1945, Klein’s Neighborhood Food Shop in 1947 and Giacomin’s Grocery in the mid-1950s.

5026 25th Avenue

Now residential, this address was Capponi’s Grocery in the 1930s, Scalfri’s Grocery in the mid-1940s and the Pinnola Food Shop in the late-1940s.

4800 28th Avenue

4800 28th Avenue

This corner commercial space, at the southwest intersection of 28th Avenue and 48th Street, was the home of Stulgaitis’ Grocery in the 1920s, Rastic’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s, Hinne’s Grocery in 1945, Scalfri’s Grocery in 1947 (moved from 5026 25th Avenue) and Zaleski’s Food Shop in the mid-to-late 1950s.

1020 43rd Street

This rather unusual corner building on 43rd Street, built in 1871 and located just east of the railroad viaduct, housed Ruppel’s Grocery in the early 1940s.

1916 43rd Street

Now residential, this address was a grocery store for decades, including Bartkus’ Grocery in the 1920s, the first Mantuano’s Grocery between 1942 and 1945 and then the Kleist Food Shop from 1947 to 1964.

1919 45th Street

This odd brick building set back from the street, is currently a storage facility, perhaps for the adjoining Houston’s Bar. It was built in 1914 and housed Baternik’s Food Shop for almost 50 years from about 1927 to 1974.

1919 45th Street

2115 48th Street

Now residential, this address was home to Bruzas’ Grocery in the 1920s, Magnanelli’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s and Cesario’s Food Shop in the late-1940s.

1336 50th Street

Now vacant land but once the home of Rostker’s Grocery in the 1920s.

1338 50th Street

Also currently vacant land but once the home of Cohen’s Grocery from the 1920s to the early-1940s.

1345 50th Street

Several older commercial buildings once occupied the south side of the 1300 block of 50th Street, now the rear grounds of the Boys & Girls Club. Paricka’s Grocery stood at 1338 50th Street in the early-1940s and later moved to 1824 50th Street.

1346 50th Street

Now vacant land, a building once stood here that housed Whitmer’s Grocery in the 1970s, Mallicoat’s Fine Foods in the 1980s and the Hernandez Grocery in the late-1980s.

1349 50th Street

Another demolished building at the rear of the Boys & Girls Club housed Sluzynski’s Meats and Grocery (1921-37), which moved from 932 Washington Road in 1921.

Fonte Food Market at 1400 50th Street

1400 50th Street

A grocery store still operates here after at least 92 years. Gorano & Company Meats and Groceries was here in the 1920s. The Fonte Food Market took over sometime in the 1930s and is still in business.

1621 50th Street

Now residential, 1621 50th Street was home to Dronzek’s Grocery in the late-1920s and later on to the Chocolate Shop.

1628-30 50th Street

1628-30 50th Street

Now Kidz Corner Academy, this storefront was Paricka’s Meats and Grocery in the 1920s and 1930s and then the Marx Food Shop from about 1942 to 1974.

1724 50th Street

Located at the northeast corner of 18th Avenue and 50th Street, Conforti Brothers Grocery operated here in the 1930s and early-1940s.

Quality Food Market at 1824 50th Street

1824 50th Street

Still a grocery store after 75 years, 1824 50th Street was Paricka’s Grocery in the 1940s and early-1950s, Rezny’s IGA Super Market after that and currently the Quality Food Market.

1406 52nd Street

Adjacent to Crystal’s Bar at 1404 52nd Street, the long-vacant storefront at 1404 housed Gourmet Food Products in the 1950s.

1500 52nd Street 

This small commercial space, long vacant, was the home of Kruger’s Grocery in the 1902s and 1930s and later a series of taverns.

1724 52nd Street

Now the Pavle Lounge, 1724 52nd Street was the home to Marcinkus’ Grocery in the 1920s.

1910-16 52nd Street

Moe Moe’s Liquor and Super Market at 1910-16 52nd Street was once the home to Hampel’s Market from the 1930s to the mid-1950s and the Mid-Town Superette in the 1960s. During at least a portion of the Hampel’s era, the store was a branch of Kroger’s Grocery.  

1920 52nd Street

1920 52nd Street

This handsome 1929 two-story building was home to Alteri & Camilli Grocery in the 1930s until the mid-1940s and later, Alteri’s Food Shop from 1947 to 1974.

2402 52nd Street

This 1928 structure used to be home to Ramacci & Cosenza’s Grocery in the 1930s and the California Fruit Market in the mid-1940s.

2502 52nd Street

In a building that houses a pair of taverns, there’s a middle space that housed Demske’s Grocery in the 1920s, 1930s and early-1940s.

Washington Park North/Grant School

4618 10th Avenue

Now a vacant corner lot at the northwest corner of 10th Avenue and 47th Street, Jusis’ Grocery and Meats stood here in the 1920s.

3100 14th Avenue

Now the Main Event Tavern, this was Baczkowski’s Grocery in the 1920s.

2700 22nd Avenue

Currently Los Taquitos, this corner building housed Switalski’s Grocery in the 1920s, Perri’s Meats and Grocery in the late-1940s, Eisen’s IGA/Eisen’s Food Shop from about 1954 to 1969 and Park and Shop Food from about 1974 to 1987.

3018 22nd Avenue

A Mobil Gas station now sits on this corner where an older building housed Wasilevich’s Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s.

3817 22nd Avenue

Now a vacant commercial building that was recently home to a computer repair shop, this used to be Frank Torcaso’s Grocery in the mid-1940s and then the Washington Park Food Shop in the mid-1950s.

2135 31st Street

Now a rear parking lot for DeRango’s Pizza, City Food Shop occupied the property in the late-1950s and 1960s.

4112 Sheridan Road

Currently a vacant storefront just south of Washington Road, Variety Sausage Shop operated at this address around 1945.

4226 Sheridan Road

Now Westown Foods, this was Doc’s Stop and Shop in the late 1980s.

4416 Sheridan Road

Most recently Ruffalo’s International Foods, this address was Silverberg’s Grocery in the 1930s to the mid-1970s and Hanson’s Grocery from about 1954 to 1964.

4509 Sheridan Road

Currently a vacant storefront, this was Joslin’s Grocery in the 1939s and early-1940s, the Sheridan Cash Market in the mid-1940s and the Bose Food Shop from around 1954 to 1964.

4512 Sheridan Road

Now a car repair operation, this was Reschke’s Grocery in the late 1940s.

726 Washington Road

This corner storefront was Kuhar’s Grocery from the 1930s to the late-1950s.

911 Washington Road

Currently a vacant commercial space, this was a Kroger’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1949s.

930-32 Washington Road

930-32 Washington Road was the first location of Sluzynski’s Meats and Grocery in the mid-1910s before the store moved to 1349 50th Street in 1921. The Washington Road store later became Stec’s Grocery in the 1920s and National Tea Company branch store in the 1930s and 1940s.

933 Washington Road

Currently a vacant storefront, this was Schultz’ Grocery in the 1920s and 1930s and then Swartz’ Grocery in the early-1940s.

2618 Washington Road

Currently a vacant commercial space, this was Wade’s Grocery from 1942 to 1954, then Wade’s IGA and Wade’s Certified Food Shop before closing around 1974.

Washington Park North

3500 14th Avenue

Currently ABC Accounting, this was Kocol’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s, Jolicoeur’s Grocery in the mid-1940s and the Grant Food Shop from about 1954 to 1979.

3528 14th Avenue

Now a residence, this was Duriak’s Grocery in the 1920s.

3828 14th Avenue

Currently a vacant commercial space with an upstairs apartment, this address was home to Bashinsky’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s, Gronczewski’s Grocery in the late-1940s, and Kuzik Brothers Market/Kuzik’s Super Market from about 1954 to 1974.

3921 14th Avenue

This cute two-story home was the address for Bojniewicz’ Grocery in the 1920s.

4009 14th Avenue

The ground-floor commercial space of this two-story building housed Gorecki’s Grocery and Meats from the 1920s to about 1947.

Wilson 

4425 30th Avenue

This unusual, triangular corner building, constructed in 1926, housed Taristano’s Grocery in the early 1940s, the Pinnola Food Shop in the mid-to-late 1950s, Alma’s Variety Store in the mid-1960s and the Parkway Market in the mid-to-late 1970s.

4425 30th Avenue

5147 33rd Avenue

This address was home to Shafer’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s and then Cairo’s Grocery in the mid-1940s.

2500 48th Street

On the northwest corner of 25th Avenue and 48th Street, this vacated corner building still stands. The corner was home to Karcauskis’ Grocery in the early-1940s, Hansen’s Grocery in the late-1940s and Di Christopher’s Grocery in the 1950s and 1960s before becoming one of the last locations of Mantuano’s Grocery around 1974.

2500 48th Street

2517 50th Street

Now a vacant lot and part of an alley on the south side of 50th Street, there was an older building for Ramacci & Sosenza’s Grocery and Meats in the 1920s.

2602 50th Street

Now vacant property, 2602 50th Street may have been the first location of Regis’ Grocery in the 1930s.

2717 50th Street

Now a residence, but this address housed Glasel’s Grocery in the 1930s and early-1940s.

2802 50th Street

Located on the northwest corner of 28th Avenue and 50th Street, this now-vacant building housed Bucko Grocery and Meats in the 1920s and Regis’ Grocery in the 1950s. The latter was originally located at 2802 52nd Street.

2802 52nd Street

An older building once housed Thomka’s Grocery in the late-1920s, Kunicki’s Grocery in the 1930s, Regis Grocery and Meats (1942-47, 1959-74) and the Bartel Sausage Shop (1954). Now a Gulf gas station.

3500 52nd Street

Part of the Sun Plaza shopping center, a National Food Store opened here in 1974 and was replaced by an A & P in 1979, by Sun Warehouse Foods in 1987, by Food For Less from 1996 to 2001, followed by Kenosha Fresh Market and a Piggly Wiggly. The entire shopping center has been purchased by Kenosha County for use as office space.

McKinley

5536 34th Avenue

Now residential but once the home of Stulgaitis’ Grocery in the 1930s and 1940s.

5602 34th Avenue

Now residential but once the home of Cyncor Grocery in the 1930s and West Side Grocery in the 1940s and 1950s.

5420 41st Avenue

Now a home but once the home of Lori’s Grocery in the late-1940s.

5429 41st Avenue

Now a home but once the home of Zella’s Food Shop in the late-1950s.

3029 52nd Street

When the Bonnie Hame housing project was on the northwest corner of 30th Avenue and 52nd Street, there were a series of grocery stores across the street, including Dante Cardinali’s Grocery in 1945, Cardinali’s Food Shop in 1947 and the Bonnie Hame Food Shop in the mid-to-late 1950s.

Hollywood Grocery (now Ron’s Place) at 3301 52nd Street

3301 52nd Street

3301 52nd Street was a second location of Angelici & Settimi’s Grocery and Meats in the 1920s and later the Hollywood Grocery from the 1930s to about 1959. Since 1972, the location has been the home of Ron’s Place for “5×5” burgers and Long Island ice teas.

4301 52nd Street

Now the home of El Señorial Mexican restaurant, Kostelnik’s Food Shop was located here in the 1960s.

3029 60th Street

Now the home of the Art Garden, VanBendegom & Stuemke Grocery/VanBendegom & Sons Grocery was located here from the 1920s to around 1954.

3109 60th Street

Now a vacant commercial space with an upstairs apartment, this address was once Vischer’s Grocery from the 1920s to around 1942 and then Nelson’s Grocery later in the 1940s.

3203-5 60th Street

This address has been a grocery store since at least the 1930s when Klein & Sons Grocery occupied the space until the mid-1950s. El Valle Super Mercado followed in the late 1980s, and today it’s Westown Foods & Liquor.

3215 60th Street

Just east of Our Kenosha Tap is 3215 60th Street, once the home of Martin’s Grocery in the 1930s, then a Kroger’s Grocery branch store until the late-1940s and then Ben’s Superette starting around 1959. Today, it’s the site of Renwood Messenger Recording Studios.

3701 60th Street

Located on the southwest corner of 37th Avenue and 60th Street, this address was Markowitz’ Grocery in the 1920s, followed by Obertin’s Grocery in the 1930s, the Loop Grocery around 1942 and the Nu-Way Kosher Market between 1945 and 1947. Today, the building houses Carol’s Mane Street Hair Design.

3727 60th Street

Located at the southeast corner of 38th Avenue and 60th Street, 3727 60th was once Hiadinger’s Grocery around 1954 and then McCoy’s Foods around 1959. Today, it houses Ruta’s Therapeutic Massage.

3923 60th Street

Kastman Brothers Grocery was located in this building at the southeast corner of 40th Avenue and 60th Street in the mid-1950s. Today it’s Artistry Hair Studio.

What killed the neighborhood grocery stores were modern-day supermarkets. As one flips through city directories, it’s easy to see the dwindling number of these small businesses once the larger supermarkets took hold.

Kenosha saw its first supermarkets around 1954 when the National Food Store chain opened three new facilities, one downtown at 5333 Sheridan Road, one north side at 3726-3810 22nd Avenue and on the south side at 4018 75th Street. 

Here’s a listing of some other post-1950s supermarkets prior to the age of Woodman’s, Meijer and Fresh Thyme:

A & P

3931 52nd Street (by 1965-69, later GJC of Kenosha-1974)

3831 75th Street (1959-74)

National Food Store at 5333 Sheridan Road

National Food Store

3726-3810 22nd Avenue (1954-68). After going vacant in 1969, this site was a Kohl’s Food Store from 1970 to 2001, then an Osco Pharmacy and now a CVS Pharmacy.

4018 75th Street (1954)

5333 Sheridan Road (about 1954 to 1958)

7709 Sheridan Road (1959-76) and then an A & P (1977)

Kohl’s Food Store

3726-3810 22nd Avenue (1970-2001)

4216 52nd Street (1987-1996). After being vacant for a few years, this site became a Save-a-Lot Grocery (2006-08), Kenosha Fresh Market, then a Piggly Wiggly before closing for good.

7524 Pershing Plaza (by 1965-87), later a Sentry (2001) and now a Piggly Wiggly

Kroger’s

714 52nd Street (1950s and 1960s)

7944 Sheridan Road (late-1960s)

Piggly Wiggly

3820 52nd Street (1964-87)

4523 75th Street (1969-87)

2215 80th Street (1964, closed in August 2019)

1403 Washington Road (1969-79, later a Time Warner facility)

Sentry

2055 22nd Avenue (1964-79)

8207 22nd Avenue (1979)

Pick N Save

5914 75th Street (by 1987)

Super Valu

3803 80th Street,  Later Rog and Marv’s Super Valu (1995) and now Festival Foods

HAVE A STORY TO TELL?